Senior Software Engineer
Reports To: VP, Engineering
We are a profitable and growing software-as-a-service (SaaS) company headquartered in Rochester, NY and staffed nationally on a mission to transform and improve medical decisions through augmented thinking and timely visualization. Our vision is to become the most relied-upon intelligence platform for improving medical decisions by healthcare professionals and lay people alike. We current serve more than 300 enterprise customers and half of all medical schools in the United States.
VisualDx is both a web EHR interoperable system and a mobile app which includes AI/machine learning image analysis capabilities. We are proud that our product has:
- The world’s best curated medical image library
- A leading skin color atlas
- Smart search for chief complaints, diagnoses, medications, and travel location
- The ability to build a patient-specific differential diagnosis
- Earn CME credits with every search, and
- It’s available on desktop, iOS, and Android devices
In 2019, VisualDx launched DermExpert™, a mobile app which allows anyone to take a picture of a skin condition and map it to VisualDx’s database for personalized guidance in seconds. The app leverages VisualDx’s comprehensive curated medical image library, deep knowledge base, and machine learning tools to provide the general practitioner with the ability needed to recognize, understand, and treat skin conditions.
Our products include web, Android, and iOS applications.
Technologies we use:
- Apache/Tomcat running in AWS
- Cognito, Shiro Pac4J
- MySQL, Lucene
- Git / BitBucket
For this journey we are currently seeking a Software Engineer with broad experience in designing and implementing Java and Kotlin-based microservice architectures. Additionally, you will have some experience with single sign on strategies based on SAML, OIDC, and oAuth 2. You will have excellent analytical, design, and problem-solving skills, bring creative approaches to implementation challenges, and love to work interactively with people from a variety of professional backgrounds, easily adapt to changing requirements and goals.
- Develop and maintain server-side software that takes a patient’s findings and returns relevant differentials
- Modify and extend SQL-based data models and schemas
- Design, implement, and test medical software
- Participate as a team member on any aspects of software engineering operations as needed
- Solid background in Java, Java EE, Spring, and related web technologies
- Familiarity with single sign on methods such as SAML and OIDC
- Experience with Cognito, Okta, Auth0, or other authentication services
- Good understanding of object-oriented design and implementation
- Kotlin experience is a plus
- Experience with EHRs like Epic or Cerner is a plus
- Experience with Apache, Tomcat, Amazon Web Services are all pluses
- BS or higher in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work effectively both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Thorough knowledge of agile software engineering practices
- Continued curiosity and desire to learn new technologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication and documentation skills
- Comfortable working remotely
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times
Why you’ll want to join VisualDx:
Our people make VisualDx a great place to work. We’re connected through our mission to change medicine. VisualDx provides employees with work opportunities to stretch their minds and expand their skills. Here are a few other reasons you will want to join the VisualDx team:
We offer robust benefits, including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 3% Safe Harbor Contribution to 401k plan
- Paid time off- vacation, sick, and holidays
- Short and long-term disability
- No meeting Fridays!
- Work from anywhere in the US!
We have fun. We learn together. We have hosted happy hours, picnics, holiday parties, catered lunches, virtual escape rooms and our newest tradition – Treat Yo Self Day!
We care. Our Social Causes Committee, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committees, and wellness opportunities nurture our mind, body, and soul and deepen our community connections.
We’re pet people! Dogs are common workplace companions in our headquarters and those working remotely share pet adventures via Slack.
VisualDx is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train and promote without discriminating based on age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, military leave or veteran status, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Because VisualDx is a federal contractor and because of our interest in employee and client safety, we adopted a policy requiring COVID-19 vaccination for our workplace. VisualDx requires that all employees provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or qualify for an accommodation from the vaccination requirement due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. Please note: This requirement may be subject to change based on applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or other guidance.
Regrettably, VisualDx does not sponsor employment at this time.