ContentsSynopsisCodesBest TestsReferencesView all Images (2)
Emergency: requires immediate attention
Mushroom poisoning
Print
Other Resources UpToDate PubMed
Emergency: requires immediate attention

Mushroom poisoning

Print Images (2)
Other Resources UpToDate PubMed

Synopsis

Potentially life-threatening. Mushroom poisoning (mycetism) occurs after consuming a toxic mushroom. Only 5% of all mushrooms are poisonous. Misidentification of mushrooms is common. Mushroom poisoning presents differently based on the toxin consumed. Severity of the symptoms ranges from mild to deadly.

Acute toxicity – The appearance of symptoms within 6 hours of consumption typically indicates a milder intoxication syndrome but does not eliminate the possibility of death. Intoxication syndromes that occur within 6 hours of consumption may present with one or a combination of the following: gastrointestinal (GI) upset, hallucinations, central nervous system depression and excitation, cholinergic excess, or disulfiram-like reactions (headache, flushing, diaphoresis, nausea/vomiting, tachycardia, palpitations, chest pain, dyspnea). Prognosis is typically good. These patients usually recover within a day.

Delayed toxicity – Syndromes that begin after 6 hours or persist for longer than a day may present with one or a combination of the following: liver toxicity and GI upset (with or without seizures), renal failure, and rhabdomyolysis. Rarely, erythromelalgia, encephalopathy, immune-mediated hemolytic anemia, or allergic bronchoalveolitis may occur.

Codes

ICD10CM:
T62.0X4A – Toxic effect of ingested mushrooms, undetermined, initial encounter

SNOMEDCT:
86505009 – Toxic effect from eating mushrooms

Best Tests

Subscription Required

References

Subscription Required

Last Updated: 04/08/2016
Copyright © 2018 VisualDx®. All rights reserved.
Emergency: requires immediate attention
Mushroom poisoning
Print 2 Images
View all Images (2)
(with subscription)
Mushroom poisoning (Acute Intoxication)
Copyright © 2018 VisualDx®. All rights reserved.