ContentsSynopsisCodesLook ForDiagnostic PearlsDifferential Diagnosis & PitfallsBest TestsManagement PearlsTherapyReferencesView all Images (2)
Emergency: requires immediate attention
Congenital hypothyroidism in Adult
Print
Other Resources UpToDate PubMed
Emergency: requires immediate attention

Congenital hypothyroidism in Adult

Print Images (2)
Contributors: Joon B. Kim BS, Christine Osborne MD, Marilyn Augustine MD, Abhijeet Waghray MD
Other Resources UpToDate PubMed

Synopsis

Congenital hypothyroidism is present at birth. Most cases are sporadic (85%), with the remainder (15%) due to an inborn error of thyroid hormone synthesis. Most neonates are asymptomatic due to maternal thyroxine (T4) or residual functioning thyroid tissue, but many have a relatively higher birth weight percentile and head circumference percentile than birth length percentile due to myxedema.

When untreated, infants develop symptoms of congenital hypothyroidism including intellectual disability, lethargy, hoarse cry, poor feeding, constipation, myxedema facies, macroglossia, umbilical hernia, large fontanelles, and prolonged jaundice.

Causes of congenital hypothyroidism include thyroid dysgenesis (most common in the United States), thyroid agenesis, iodine deficiency, or dyshormonogenetic goiter.

Congenital hypothyroidism is one of the most common preventable causes of intellectual disability. As such, newborn screening for thyroid deficiency was initiated in the 1970s.

For more information, see OMIM.

Codes

ICD10CM:
E03.1 – Congenital hypothyroidism without goiter

SNOMEDCT:
190268003 – Congenital Hypothyroidism

Look For

Subscription Required

Diagnostic Pearls

Subscription Required

Differential Diagnosis & Pitfalls

Best Tests

Subscription Required

Management Pearls

Subscription Required

Therapy

Subscription Required

References

Subscription Required

Last Reviewed: 05/09/2019
Last Updated: 05/15/2019
Copyright © 2019 VisualDx®. All rights reserved.
Emergency: requires immediate attention
Congenital hypothyroidism in Adult
Print 2 Images
View all Images (2)
(with subscription)
Congenital hypothyroidism (Prenatal or Neonatal) : Fatigue, Hypotonia, HR decreased
Clinical image of Congenital hypothyroidism
Copyright © 2019 VisualDx®. All rights reserved.