"We had a man present with a very unusual rash on his hand. Using VisualDx, we were able to accurately diagnose Mycobacterium marinum. The dermatologist that we referred him to was quite impressed that we were able to correctly diagnose it."
Diagnostic errors cost our healthcare system $1.6 billion annually in malpractice payments. These errors harm patients and lead to other indirect costs and a considerable drain on healthcare resources.
VisualDx aims to reduce diagnostic errors by augmenting a clinician’s thinking. We help establish a logical method of clinical reasoning to avert common diagnostic pitfalls. This leads to evidence-based decision making.
A Medical Crisis Below the Surface: Nearly every person will experience a diagnostic error in their lifetime
The Financial Risk of Diagnostic Errors: Diagnostic errors are one of the most serious problems plaguing healthcare systems today
1. Breitbart EW, Choudhury K, Andersen AD, et al. Improved patient satisfaction and diagnostic accuracy in skin diseases with a Visual Clinical Decision Support System-A feasibility study with general practitioners. PLOS One. https://doi. org/10.1371/journal.pone.0235410. Published July 29, 2020. Accessed August 13, 2020.
2. Based on a 2013 survey of 468 VisualDx users.
3. Alvarado SM, Feng H, Representation of dark skin images of common dermatologic conditions in educational resources: a cross-sectional analysis, JAAD (2020), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2020.06.041. Published June 10, 2020. Accessed June 18, 2020.
4. Alvarado SM, Feng H, Representation of dark skin images of common dermatologic conditions in educational resources: a cross-sectional analysis, JAAD (2020), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2020.06.041. Published June 10, 2020.
5. Papier A, Allen E, McDermott M. Visual informatics: real-time visual decision support. Poster presented at: American Medical Informatics Association 2001 Annual Symposium; November 3-7, 2001; Washington, DC.
6. David CV, Chira S, Eells SJ, et al. Diagnostic accuracy in patients admitted to hospitals with cellulitis. Dermatol Online J. 2011;17(3):1. Published 2011 Mar 15.